Friday, April 16, 2010

Ohkla

So... today is day 24. I guess I should have started this a little sooner... but better late than never. For those of you who don't already know, Lakshmi and I have decided to move to India and work for her mother's business (Varnali). The factory is located in Ohkla, an industrial area of Delhi. This part of town consists mostly of 3-story buildings, except for areas that have been claimed by squatters. And...since possession is nine tenths of the law, the only way to remove them is with bribes.

This picture is the view from the third floor of Varnali. The image is really small, but inside this mess are several utility poles which the occupants have conveniently tapped into for electricity, and even more fascinating is that I counted at least 4 satellite dishes. BTW... there's an entire village living there... probably more people than Pincourt :)

This is the street view. There are a few shops lining the front, a lot of trash, and a rooster. I'm glad to say that the rooster was also there back in December... must be a pet (of some sort) since this is no farm.

Hope you enjoyed my first post... I've got to go study Hindi for an hour now, and then off to bed. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment